26 May 2017

Finished pieces and more screens


While my deconstructed prints were drying on the line, I set up the old screens for Judith's new Play Date this coming Saturday. I photographed the washed and dried print. They are a bit faint but I DID take a chance printing them on a  medium beige linen.



Faint but looks like trees/forest - another layer needed


perfect


Nice clean up rag


Five screens done on white fabric. More layers needed but still good.

I like this too and will add more layers 



Screens set up for another go.


In process


My set-up. I am using a thin bubble wrap, burlap (dark splotch) and wrinkled waxed paper


Another clean up cloth that needs more "action"



What I made in 10 days. Thank you my muse, Judith...


Another book giveaway for those reading this post



24 May 2017

Judith's batiked pieces



These are from our recent playdate. They are hanging on Judith's line at her house "drying" out.






Another surprise giveaway for those who are reading this post



Winner picked on the 27th so check back,; it could be you.


22 May 2017

More batik and de con silk screening


Judith came over again and I am LOVING these frequent visits. She was here yesterday and will return next Saturday. Yipee. I haven't had this much fun all winter.

After she left last week, I used some of the thickened dye to set up some silk screens for deconstructing. I broke them down with print paste on pre-treated fabric yesterday while Judith batiked her pieces at the other end of the table.

I am continuing on the landscape series so please keep that in mind as I show you what I am doing to create workable pieces/parts of a landscape.



These are the screen being set up.


This one is one the line waiting to dry. I think I have mentioned why I dry all of the pieces I dye with thickened print paste before washing them out.


Although this was hanging on the line I oriented the photo so the horizontal nature of the pieces are easier to see. Obviously I miss the boat on the top most print - sheesh!







This is one of two charcoal drawing I photographed, thresholded and sent to Lyric Kinard for making me a thermofax. I will use these in the landscapes as well. 




19 May 2017

Making Sky


I decided to make some abstract sky today and I like he way it turned out. I also made some realistic (sort of) sky with a horizon of trees. I haven't washed anything out yet but the fabric batched and dry looks good.


This was the batik sky and I really like the bottom most panel. I had started to "roll" it up to package and batch but took a few pics first


Love this








Sky fabric I dyed about 6 years ago


Two other appropriate blue pieces for sky plus a plexiglas palette for thickened dyes and a natural sponge to apply the dye. 


First touches of chartreuse


Done














This is the cotton cover after the dye painting



17 May 2017

Judith's batik work



I usually don't show Judith's work on my blog because she has her own but she said it would be OK because we don't have he same "audience". Just knowing she is coming fills me will a super charged jolt of creative energy!!!







This is why I copied her idea about the "baked potato"










15 May 2017

The other big piece and some general info on my padded table.



Many of you have seen my padded printing table. I keep a piece of flannel sheet on it to protect the felt and then added an additional piece of nice cotton to catch drips and drabs.


This piece of fabric has been on here over two years. It has it share of dye here and there and after the last three days with Judith and I, it also had a ton of wax from out batiking.


I felt it was "done" and made up some "Bubble gum" and "Olive" thickened dye. I also had two "hair color" bottles in the refrigerator with purple and turquoise thickened dye from I can't remember when. These "hair color" bottles don't have caps so I put a glass headed pin in each to seal them. I guess it worked.



These are detailed pictures of sections of the table cover as I scrapped thickened dye over it using a credit card.











When I was done with the dye, I had to spray the entire piece because it was not pre-treated with soda ash. My arm may never recover... You can see how wet it is. I folded it without any barriers because I have found that the dye doesn't transfer. I put the whole thing in a plastic bag and left it on my warm asphalt driveway.


This is the flanell sheet layer. I decided to remove it and wash it because it was a bit damp from all that spraying.


This is the base table. It is a piece of 4' X 8' plywood with pressed foam chunk rug padding covered with acrylic felt and stapled on the underside. 


The foam padding


The legs are four folding horse from Home Depot.


Drying on the line


Washed and dried



These are the two side it was hard to see.